Welcome to Law Enforcement with Sergeant Sal Sandoval
Instructor: Sergeant Sal SandovalLocation: Newark Memorial High School, Room 327Contact Information:Phone: 510-818-4374 (NMHS) or 510-298-7453 (Newark PD)Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or salvador.sandoval
- 1st Period: Law Enforcement/Homeland Security (MTF, Block Day Wed, No Class Thurs)
Industry Sector: Public Services
Weblinks: Newark Police Department
About Sergeant Sal Sandoval:Sergeant Sal Sandoval (#S33) started his law enforcement career with the City of Hayward in 1991 as a Hayward Police Explorer. As a teenager and in high school, his School Resource Officer told him about the police explorer program which is chartered by the Boy Scouts of America. http://exploring.learningforlife.org/At that time, there was no law enforcement class offered to high school students and this was an amazing learning opportunity to start his law enforcement career path. Had it not been for an Officer assigned to the school, Sergeant Sandoval may have never known about the program.In 1999, Sergeant Sandoval was hired as a Reserve Police Officer for the City of Hayward where he continued to participate in the police explorer youth program, now as an Advisor.In 2001, Sergeant Sandoval was hired as a Police Officer with the Newark Police Department. He has served as the department’s Explorer Advisor since 2003. He also serves as the Coordinator for the Cadet program.Sergeant Sandoval is currently the supervisor of patrol team 2, of the School Resource Officer program, of the Crowd Management Team, of the Honor Guard, and of the Hostage Negotiation Team on the SWAT team.Prior to being promoted, Sergeant Sandoval had been assigned to Newark Memorial High School as the School Resource Officer. To name a few things, Sergeant Sandoval also held or accomplished the following:
- He worked 4 years as a Detective on the Special Enforcement Team where he investigated gang and narcotic cases,
- He is a member of the California Narcotics Officers’ Association and the California Gang Investigators Association,
- He was a certified Bicycle Patrol Unit officer
- He is a Drug Recognition Expert
- In July 2008, he was awarded the Medal of Distinguished Service for a face to face negotiation with a suicidal male
- He was a Field Training Officer teaching new officers how to perform
- He is Vehicle Pursuit Instructor
During his free time, Sergeant Sandoval enjoys model railroads, camping, fishing, and spending time with family and friends.
College Credits Earned:
2018-2019: 18 students in Sergeant Sandoval's Law Enforcement class earned 3.0 credits from Ohlone College for AJ 101: Administration of Justice.
2017-2018: 21 students in Sergeant Sandoval's Law Enforcement class earned 3.0 credits from Ohlone College for AJ 101: Administration of Justice.
2016-2017: 27 students in Sergeant Sandoval's Law Enforcement class earned 3.0 credits from Ohlone College for AJ 101: Administration of Justice.