Welcome to Medical & Health Careers and Medical Occupations with Dr. Uppula
Instructor: Dr. Dhana UppulaLocation: James Logan High School, Room 228Contact Information:Phone: 510-471-2520 x60332Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Period 2: Medical and Health Careers
- Periods 3/4: Medical Occupations (2 hours class)
- Periods 6/7: Medical Occupations (2 hour class)
Industry Sector: Health Science and Medical Technology
UC/CSU A-G Courses: Medical and Health Careers meets the Area G: College Preparatory Elective requirement.College Credits: Students in Medical Occupations that earn a B- or better can earn college credits at Las Positas College.
About Dr. Uppula:I was a physician by profession (practiced family medicine in India). Currently, I teach "Medical & Health Careers" and "Medical Occupations" at James Logan High School. I previously instructed Pre-Nursing/Medical and Health Careers classes at American High school. I developed the Human Anatomy and Physiology UC 'g' approved course and taught at Irvington High School. This course also gets Ohlone College credit for 4 units of A&P. I developed the EKG Technician program for adults at MVROP. Many students were hired at Kaiser for part time and full time work. I am passionate about sharing my expertise to new generation who would like to pursue a career in medical and health. My classes conduct Health Fair offering clinical Health check up to the staff of Logan and also offer community service by doing EKG to the uninsured aged population in a temple in Milpitas.
- HOSA (Health Occupations Students Organization): HOSA is a student organization whose mission is to promote career opportunities in health care and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. Through this web site, members, advisors, and guests can access a wide array of services from basic organization information to online membership services.
- Cal-HOSA (California Chapter of HOSA): CAL-HOSA is the premier organization for student leaders preparing for careers in the health care industry. HOSA is America's pipeline for future health care professionals!
- NTHS (National Technical Honor Society): The acknowledged leader in the recognition of outstanding student achievement in career and technical education. Thousands of schools and colleges throughout the U.S. and its territories have a chapter of the honor society on their campus. These member schools agree that NTHS encourages higher scholastic achievement, cultivates a desire for personal excellence, and helps top students find success in today's highly competitive workplace.
Medical Occupations Health Fair at JLHS
2017-2018: In Dr. Uppula's Medical Occupations classes 38 students passed the "Medical Terminology" Precision Exam and were awarded with a Career Skills Certificate and Certification, 53 students earned their CPR/BLS Card, and 52 students passed the HIPAA Awareness for Healthcare Providers exam.
College Credits Earned:
2017-2018: 45 students in Dr. Uppula's Medical Occupations classes earned 2.0 credits from Las Positas College for HSCI 55: Orientation to Health Care.
2016-2017: 35 students in Dr. Uppula's Medical Occupations classes earned 2.0 credits from Las Positas College for HSCI 55: Orientation to Health Care.